(makes 6 fritters)
Small broccoli, pulsed in a food processor or blender
1/2 a red onion, diced
handful of a cheese of choice (i chose a cheddar & parmesan mix), grated
6 tbsp plain flour
small bunch fresh mint & coriander, chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp curry powder
knob of butter
1 tsp cracked black pepper
- Cut the broccoli into florets and blend in a food processor or blender until it is fine.
- In a pestle and mortar, combine the mustard, coriander and cumin seeds and grind until all seeds are split.
- Heat the knob of butter in a pan over low heat.
- Mix the spice mix with the curry powder and add to the butter in the pan, stirring until combined and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add butter & spices to a large mixing bowl along with the grated cheese and blended broccoli. Add salt and black pepper, diced red onion and fresh herbs.
- Crack an egg into the bowl and stir until combined.
- Add the flour and stir until the mixture is thick enough to form small fritters in your hands.
- Heat oil or butter in a pan and fry the fritters on medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side, until browning.
- Serve on their own, with a salad, or alternatively top with a poached egg for a nice brunch.