(Makes 6 portions)
1 small cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 onion, diced
1 red chilli, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
large chunk of ginger, grated
400g red lentils
1 can coconut milk
4 tbsp turmeric
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
400ml vegetable stock
salt & pepper
fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat some oil in a pan on low heat and add the diced onions and garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the chopped chilli, grated ginger, cauliflower florets and season with salt & pepper.
- Add the coriander and mustard seeds to a pestle & mortar and grind until fine. Add this to the pan along with the curry powder and turmeric. Mix until the contents of the pan are evenly coated. Add a splash of water incase the pan starts drying out.
- Next add the lentils, followed by the coconut milk and vegetable stock.
- Cook on a medium heat for 20-30 minutes, adding more water/stock as the dhal thickens. Add extra salt & pepper to taste.
- To serve, stir through a spoonful of greek yoghurt and top with chopped fresh coriander.
- The dhal also goes really well with some vinegary pickled red cabbage!