Adapted from Nigella’s recipe.
~15 dried apricots
3 cracked cardamom pods
200g ground almonds
80g cornmeal/fine polenta
200g caster sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp rosewater
For the topping:
handful of pistachios, deshelled and crushed
1 large fig
- Put the dried apricots and cracked cardamom pots into a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. After about 15 minutes turn off the pan and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C, grease a cake tin and line with greaseproof paper.
- Remove the cardamom husks and leave the seeds. Blend the apricot mix in a blender until smooth.
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a bowl and mix.
- Whisk the eggs then add this to the dry ingredients along with the apricot blend and mix.
- Mix in the lemon juice and rosewater.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- Crush pistachios using a pestle and mortar.
- Add 1 tsp of lemon juice to some apricot jam and spread over the top of the cake.
- Cut a large fig into three equal segments and place in the middle of the cake. Finish by dusting with the pistachio crumbs.